In honor of the last Harry Potter movie, which I am also using as the ending point of my childhood, I will be creating looks from the Harry Potter books series. In Harry Potter there are four houses, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Slytherin and Hufflepuff. Each of these houses has its own colors and symbols that I will base looks off of. So if you are headed to a Harry Potter themed movie or a midnight showing of the last movie (like I am) try one of these looks on for size.
Each look has basic school uniform items. For girls, I recommend a sweater in the house’s color instead of a sweater vest and tie. I used shorts for these outfits because finding a grey pleated skirt was proving very difficult. Te blazer can be replaced with a cloak or a peacoat and flats with other black shoes.
First there is Gryffindor. If you are a Gryffindor, and you would follow the saying: “You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve, and chivalry, set Gryffindors apart.” Their colors are burgundy and gold and their symbol is the lion.
Next there is Hufflepuff. Hufflepuff’s saying goes, “You may belong in Hufflepuff, where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuffs are true, and unafraid of toil.” Their colors are yellow and black and their symbol is a badger.
Third there is Ravenclaw. Ravenclaw’s saying states, “Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, If you’ve a ready mind, where those of wit and learning, will always find their kind.” Their colors are blue and bronze and their symbol is an eagle.
Finally there is Slytherin. Slytherin’s saying goes, “Or perhaps in Slytherin, you’ll make your real friends, those cunning folk use any means, to achieve their ends.” Their colors are dark green and silver and their symbol is a snake.
Basically the looks all have the same key elements of a school uniform which can usually be found in most people’s closets. The only difference is the key color pieces and the accessories pertaining to the houses.
- Blazer: Target, $29.99
- White button down: Forever 21, $18.90
- Grey shorts: Forever 21, $17.80
- Knee high socks: Target, $4.00
- Black flats: Payless, $19.99
- Cardigan: Target, $15.00
- Lion necklace: t-boo.shopify.com, 7 Euro
- Gold headband: Forever 21, $1.50
- Badger necklace: Brookstonejewelry.com, $245.00
- Black headband: Forever 21, $1.50
- Eagle necklace: Amazon, $13.57
- Blue headband: Forever 21, $1.50
- Snake necklace: Amazon, $19.99
- Silver headband: Forever 21, $1.50
- Suit jacket: Macys, $119.98
- White button down: Macys, $17.99
- Black pants: Macys, $75
- Sweater vest: Hot Topic, $40.50
- Tie: Macys, $49.50
- Lion cufflinks: Amazon, $29.99
- Badger cufflinks: No longer available
- Eagle cufflinks: $28.99
- Snake cufflinks: $32.99